Certain drugs can be challenging to travel with. Saxenda is one of them. Because of its specific storage instructions, traveling with Saxenda requires a bit of preplanning and organization.
As you know, Liraglutide (Saxenda's active ingredient) is a fragile and unstable drug. Therefore, it must be kept refrigerated before use and should never be exposed to temperatures higher than 86°F (30°C) once opened.
So, how to make sure your medicine stays cool and safe during your travels? Can you fly with it? What documents do you need?
Here comes a series of helpful tips for traveling with your Saxenda pens!
Tips for Keeping Saxenda Cool while Traveling
Saxenda storage temperatures
According to Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer of Saxenda, here’s how you must store your medicine to ensure it stays fully effective:
- Unopened Saxena pens must be refrigerated between36°F and 46°F (2°C to 8°C)until first use or expiration date.
- After that, open pens can be stored either in the refrigerator or at room temperature between 59°F and 86°F max (15°C to 30°C) and must be used within 30 days maximum.
These rigorous storage instructions are essential. Not implementing them risks deteriorating your medicine and negatively impacting the success of your treatment.
Related article: Does Saxenda need to be refrigerated, and how to store your pens properly?
Use a medical-grade travel cooler
There are two scenarios where you would need to pay special attention to the temperatures when traveling with Saxenda:
- You’re traveling with a stock of unopened injection pens that must be refrigerated.
- You’re traveling to hot weather destinations with in-use open pens that must be protected from heat (max 86°F (30°C)).
- Use a DIY cooler bag with ice and deal with uncertainty, leaks, and wasted medicine.
- Use a reliable medical-grade travel cooler and enjoy convenience, peace of mind, and safety.
Most people using Saxenda or other refrigerated drugs choose the easy and safe road with 4AllFamily’s travel coolers.
4AllFamily offers medical-grade portable fridges and coolers for travelers who need to refrigerate or keep their medicines cool in any situation.
Whether you're a backpacker, road tripper, museum addict, beach lover, or business class traveler, we've made it so you can find the most convenient refrigerating solution for your valuable medication.
Our best-performing travel fridges for medications can keep your Saxenda pens refrigerated between 36°F and 46°F (2°C - 8°C) for multiples days with biogel packs or for an unlimited duration when plugged into a power source.
All our medical coolers are TSA-approved so that you can travel by plane with your Saxenda pens and medical supplies.
More tips to keep Saxenda cool while traveling
- Slip your in-use open Saxenda pens inside your travel cooler whenever the outside temperature gets above 86°F (30°C)).
- Keep your stocks of unopened pens in the refrigerator at home or in your hotel room. If not possible, use a portable travel fridge.
- Always keep your Saxenda pens in the shade
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Never leave your medicine in the car
- If you’re flying, bring your Saxenda pens on board.
Remember that freezing temperatures can also deteriorate Saxenda. So, if traveling to cold weather destinations, keep your injection pens close to your body (in an inside pocket) to prevent them from freezing.
Related article: How to Use a Saxenda Pen and Where to Inject!
Can I Take Saxenda on a Plane?
Absolutely, you can take Saxenda on a plane. The U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines are straightforward. Travelers are allowed to fly with their medicines, whether in pills or injections, as well as any syringe, needle, sharp object, or medical device they need for medical purposes.
When flying with Saxenda, always take it in the carry-on bag on board with you. Never leave your medicine in the checked luggage. Hazardous temperature and atmospheric conditions in the hold could damage the drug inside your pen.
Although Saxenda can go through X-ray machines safely, the TSA states that you have the right to request a visual inspection instead.
Related article: The Ultimate Checklist for Traveling With Diabetes!
While not always required, bring the following documents with you when flying with Saxenda or other prescription medicines:
- Medical prescriptions
- Original containers of the medicine
- TSA documentation (if applicable)
- Your insurance information
Having these documents ready will help smooth your travel experience at the airport security screening points.
When traveling internationally, enquire with the consulate or embassy of your destination country about any specific restrictions or requirements.
How to pack Saxenda for flying?
Here are a few tips for securely packing your Saxenda pens and accessories when traveling:
- Pack all medication, medical supplies, and accessories in your carry-on.
- Use a TSA-approved medical-grade cooler if necessary.
- Keep the medicines in the original containers if possible.
- Labels must be readable so that security agents can quickly identify the drug.
- Always pack extra Saxenda pens when traveling in case your flight back gets delayed or other unexpected events.
Related article: How to ship insulin and other refrigerated medications?
We hope we’ve answered all your questions about traveling with Saxenda. If not, do not hesitate and place a comment below!
Related article: Wegovy Vs. Saxenda: Comparing two Weight-Loss Injections!